Sunday, March 20, 2005

Low point

The travel gods must have been displeased with us. Our plans were all awry and we ended up in Bankok very late and the well reviewed hotel I'd booked from the airport was hideous. I declined But it took me about 45 minutes to find it, after our taxi driver had dumped us off on the sweaty hot party streets. Imagine us hauling our luggage down this crowded street, Krista carrying a drooping Eden, hoping that The Wild Orchid was ahead (some Thai girl had told us it was). We got to The Orchid (even worse than the wild one) and said 'no, this CAN'T be it'. We're in dingy flophouse land. I parked the family at a little resturaunt and went scrambling about. The staff at the modest resturaunt were so concerned that one of the gals led me about to try to find a place. Everyplace was full. Finally I found the Thai Cozy House which boasts a slick polished lobby, all marble tile, with an elevator and all. The room (on the 5th floor looked great, at least to my tired frantic eyes).
It took some shlepping to drag our bags and Eden over, and then it turned out that they only had one room on floor 5 and the price was 750 not 350, which is what I'd thought I heard. Money no problem. But we got to our second floor rooms and they were icky. No window, stuffy, no top sheep (which, to be fair, is common here) and heavy on the mosquitoes. The bathroom was done in early eeeewwwww. India refused to bathe. If I hadn't been so exhausted......But we were. It was awful. Were down in the lobby now, about to order breakfast. Then out into the streets, me at least, instead of sight seeing, trying to find a decent place for our last night in Thailand.
wish me luck.

No comments: