Thursday, May 26, 2005

Aaaaaaarrrrrrrrrgggghhhhh

I just scraped the side of our rental car. Jeeeezus. The horrible sound keeps reverberating somewhere in my body. It's not too bad, just a big nasty scratch. It can't be more than a $1000 new zealand. That's only $723 US. Shit.
We're in Kaikura. We left our little chapel yesterday with many fond farewells. I'm going to post the website for that place just in case anyone reading this wants to go stay there. It was wonderful.
We headed over towards the airport to take in the International Antarctic Center, which was voted the number one attraction in NZ two years ago. A 'must see'. Well, they didn't say who was doing the voting. I reckon it was the board of directors for the International Antarctic Center. It was okay I guess, lots of little signs to read, lots of little video screens to watch, some big displays. Sorry, but not the best. I actually liked the free museum a lot better.
Afterwards we watched a juggler in Cathedral Square. At the end of his show he balanced a bike on his chin for ten seconds (we all counted loudly). He told the kids "now, if your mommy and daddy don't give you $5 or $10 to give to the funny man, it just means one thing and one thing only: they don't love you". Pretty funny.
Anyway, we got out of town and headed up for Hanmer Springs, about an hour and a half North. It was okay. We had a nice soak for about two hours and then a hair raising Mr. Toad ride over the mountains in the dark to Kaikura. We had a glorious full moon to keep us happy and great music blasting to keep me awake, but I began to regret that we weren't seeing this in the daylight. Alas.
I need to find a way to banish regrets. Even scratched car ones.
love
rob

No comments: