Monday, October 23, 2006

Ol' Blue, you good truck you.

I sold my old pickup truck on Saturday to a guy from El Salvador. He's taking it down there tomorrow, along with two other cars he's bought, on a carrier truck. He said his friend is paying him $500 to drive the truck down there, and he'll make about $300 per car he sells. It's an eight day road trip!
He said he's planning on keeping 'my' truck for himself.
He also told me that a ten hour work day in El Salvador earns a man $5.00! Fifty cents an hour!
He loves America-- he told me that a dozen times. He makes ten to twelve dollars an hour here, and has his legal papers to work thanks to an amnesty program for Salvadorians. I think we both knew that America funded the death squads and civil war in his tiny little country. But we were both too polite to mention it, though I would have liked to apologize somehow for my nation.
I have to admit I was a little sad to see ol' blue go. I used that truck to keep our farm going and never had a single problem with it. It was a beat up old piece of crap truck that just kept on going. Since it just failed smog, the smog guy told me California would likely pay me $1000 to crush it up. I was glad to send it off to El Salvador to keep on truckin'.

No comments: