Monday, January 15, 2007

Children Of Men


Last night Krista and I joined our friend Steve and went out to the movies! (I added that exclamation point because I honestly can't remember the last time I went to a theater to see a film). I should give Steve credit for the idea.
We saw Children of Men and it was well worth the $6.75 or howevermuch we forked over. Not a very cheerful film, to say the least. But it was so well made, so well acted, so believable that I would reccomend it to anyone who can stomach a bit of violence and horror.
The violence was intense, but I don't think it was gratuitous. It firmly established the hellish parameters of this future dystopia, allowing the story of one pregnant woman in a childless world to become mythical and intensely numinous.
This film certainly didn't beat one over the head with its message. It demanded a bit of thought, plenty of discussion and a certain amount of shuddering.
This is a good one to see on the big screen. Especially if you need your adrenal glands wrung out.

No comments: