Monday, January 29, 2007

Pan's Labyrinth - A Review

Another movie outing with Steve! And another very dark, disturbing film. When we were driving back, Steve said "Well, I'm glad I saw it. But I would never want to see it again!"
I'm not so sure I'm glad I saw it. I had trouble falling asleep last night.
This was the most violent movie I've seen in many years and unlike rather silly movies, Kill Bill for example, the violence was very realistic, slowed down, brought close up and tied to something genuinely horrifying in the human soul.
All three of us literally covered our eyes or looked away all through this film. It was simply unbearable.

I guess the film had a message or two: FASCISM IS BAD. REALLY BAD. And given that Bush Co has been trying hard to install fascism here in the US, I guess I'm glad that millions of my countrymen will get that message delivered up close and personal. But I kind of knew it already.

Perhaps the other message in the film is that it's just as well to die and get off this hellish planet. Especially if it's a choice between selfishly using another or bravely sacrificing one's self. I can't really argue with that one, but we do seem to keep coming back here.

I think it would be rather easy to edit out almost all of the extreme violence and still convey the horrors and brutality of a fascist police state. But there was one scene in the magical realm that was somehow key to the film--the child killing monster with eyes in its hands. It would be nearly impossible to 'tone it down'. I just hope no one ever ever ever takes a child to see this film. It should really have an X rating, in my humble opinion.

One final note: I think most Americans may be a bit hazy on the Spanish Civil War. If you want to see this film, it might be worth brushing up on your history.

No comments: