Tuesday, February 13, 2007

1966


1966
Originally uploaded by Robbi Baba.

This is my first grade class photo. If you study the teacher (the one on the right) you may get some insight into why we homeschool our girls. Sort of a cross between the Grinch and Miss Trunchbull.

The principal doesn't strike me as a particularly well adjusted personality either. Yikes.

I don't remember any of these kids at all, but I've enjoyed studying their faces as I removed the dust specks. One poor girl has a huge bandaid on her cheek.

I can't help forming impressions of these young folks. I'm sure this one boy must have grown up to be an alcoholic. Another strikes me as an asshole businessman/politician type.

I'm intrigued by the black girl to the right of me. Being so young I had no awareness of race, I'm sure. I think Oregon was very white and probably fairly racist at that time. I wonder who she was. And the girl to my left has a very intense expression too.
Probably why I'm smiling--stuck between two pretty girls.

(If you click on the photo and then hit the "all sizes" button, you can see a better image.)

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Those two girls are so pretty. Lots of interesting faces here. The teacher's eyes remind me of a Komodo dragon or something.

Anonymous said...

Hey, Rob, I am at SSU and I just saw your first grade picture. I love the comments about that teacher. Your blog is cool. It is great to see the pictures of your family. ----Meredith