Monday, June 25, 2007

Projects


triptych project
Originally uploaded by Robbi Baba.

Krista has been wanting to paint some new triptychs, or altar screens, so I got a sheet of nice half inch plywood and cut it up with Jerry's table saw. This was challenging, since it's not a very big table saw. Luckily Jerry and Krista were there to help get those first big cuts done.
Once the three rectangular parts were cut for each piece, Krista drew a design for the top and I took them home to hack away with my little jig saw.
I cut one of them and it was marginally okay. I think it took about an hour. But I ruined the next little one, so in desperation I called Danny. He said to bring 'em over to his woodworking shop. He cut the other seven (beautifully) in 45 minutes! It would have taken me two days. Thank you Danny!
But I still had to sand the edges and install the hinges. That took many more hours. Ugh. I wasn't careful enough either, about the sawdust, and got a bit of a sore throat.
Eden hung out with me while I was putting in the tiny little screws for the hinges. She tried to help as best she could, but the screws were so small they were hard to handle. I was glad for her company anyway.
So now they are sitting in the studio awaiting Krista's paintbrush. A lot more work and trouble than going out and buying a canvas. But they will be fantastic works of art and it is pleasing to me to have played a part (along with Jerry, Danny and Eden) in their creation.
Hopefully some, most or all of them will be done in time for the Oregon Country Fair and we'll sell them all!
I'll try to get some photos of the finished product up before we go.

No comments: