Sunday, April 06, 2008

Likely Fools


Likely Fools, originally uploaded by Robbi Baba.

Yesterday was the Fool's Parade, up in the town of Occidental. This was our third year and my favorite. Occidental is a tiny little place, but very picturesque. It only takes about 45 minutes to parade along the street, but they have a live band at the end for a street party/dance.
It's really the most Oregon Country Fair event around here, more so than the Harmony Festival I'd say. The line between participant and spectator is pretty thin and there's a spirit of art for art's sake I love.
This year there were three 'bands' along with the Morris Dancers at the rear. The first band was Celtic and had bagpipes and horns with a violin and drums. They were pretty tight.
About half-way through was The Hubbub Club band, which also had an awesome drum section along with horns (even a tuba!) and a xylophone. They were great.
Then there were three or four guys with marching band drums, adding a lot of spirit.
I had Jerry's dragon drum and was playing along with all of them (as best I could). I was the tall guy in the purple tutu.
I've got quite a few photographs over on my Flickr site.

No comments: