Tuesday, July 21, 2009

1959

When I was gearing up for my birthday party I decided to look up the year I was born on Wikipedia. Turns out some amazing stuff happened! Besides my getting born, I mean.
Here's the short list (in no particular order)

Che and Fidel liberate Cuba
Mowtown Records is established
Alaska and Hawaii are made states
Pantyhose is introduced
The Dalai Lama flees Tibet
The Day The Music Dies - February 3rd.
Barbie doll debuts
Twilight Zone premieres

What a great year to be born. I got to skip out on being drafted for the Vietnam war. I got to grow up with the best music in the world. I got to enjoy the sexual revolution pre-aids epidemic, not to mention long hair, psychedelics and yes, bell bottom jeans.
And as kids we got to play (not so much homework), and ride our bikes everywhere and not be supervised every damn minute. Summer was still summer, without endless "camps".
By the time the horrible 80's styles and music hit, my wardrobe and record collection were strong enough to see me through.
I think of my generation as the lucky one.

No comments: