Tuesday, October 23, 2007

The Finished Roof


The Finished Roof, originally uploaded by Robbi Baba.

Yesterday Eden and I headed over to Dave and Annelies' to help finish the roof for the cob bench.
I had come over the day before and we hung the beam and cut rafters and generally worked out the design--then I had to go. Dave got most of it done after I left, but we had enough to do yesterday that I was quite sore this morning.
Since the structure isn't really sturdy enough to climb on, and has a steep slope behind it, getting the top all screwed down was hard!
Dave acid etched the galvanized roofing, so it wouldn't be so damn shiny. I think the whole thing looks pretty good. Though maybe a little bit like a bus stop?
I have to admit that once the roof was up I became very nervous about the posts being anchored enough in the cob. As it stands it feels really sturdy, but it's easy to imagine a strong wind catching that roof like a sail!
Dave talked about designing a permanent brace on the back and I was thinking about a cob buttress for each post. It wouldn't take too much work.
Of course the thing still needs plaster! It was supposed to be done by now, but we've had unseasonable rain and the bench is just a bit damp still.
More photos on Flickr.

No comments: