Tuesday, January 13, 2009

The Elephant Nature Foundation


I found another thing I absolutely want to do whilst in Thailand. This place is different than all the elephant shows and treks. Here's a statement from their website:

Our mission is to increase awareness about the plight of the endangered Asian elephant, educate locals on the humane treatment of their elephants, and provide sanctuary for rescued elephants at our nature park.

It's not cheap, by Thai standards--$75 for the full day experience, but the money goes to helping elephants so that's okay. Committing a full day (out of ten) is a bigger deal, but I think this would be an unforgetable experience. More so than laying in a hammock by the Pai river.
I have to admit, I think it would be cool to see elephants painting too at one of those more commercial shows, but that'll have to wait.

No comments: