Saturday, February 06, 2010

The Imaginarium of Dr. Parnassus


We saw this film today. It's the sort that really makes use of the big screen. Unfortunately, I don't think it will be in theaters much longer. Apparently it was a big flop, despite the fabulous visuals sets and the eye candy actors. I loved it. The rather disjointed plot didn't bother me at all, though I could see how it would annoy some people.
I loved the whole Steampunk Gothic Victorian Underbelly feel of the film and thought Tom Waits was inspired as The Devil. His "bargains" with Dr. Parnassus were so very slippery. The tag team of actors who played Tony (Heath Ledger having died during filming) were all incredibly handsome and seamlessly morphed into the character. The gal who played Valentina was also perfect, with her surreal heart shaped face, huge eyes and nascent sexuality.
Forget the plot! If you can make see this one in the theater, by all means go for it.

No comments: